“June 4, 1891 – M. F. Hamilton commenced to break ground for his new residence”
– from The Quilcene Queen (local Quilcene newspaper of the period)
Built from 1891-1892, the residence was originally a spectacular 17-room, 3 story mansard-style Victorian mansion built by Millard Fillmore Hamilton, who came to Quilcene in the 1880’s. With his business partner Squire McArdle, he platted the original Quilcene townsite.
Legend has it that Mr. Hamilton purchased the original 80 acres from the Native American widow of Joe White in 1883 for the going rate of $1/acre.
The top floor was removed due to water and wind damage in 1934 and a gabled roof was installed. It is still known as the Worthington residence and until her 2012 passing was the private home of Eileen Worthington.
Read more: The Mansion in Historical Mentions
The residence is the only example of a Victorian residence of this scale in rural Jefferson County. It urgently needs structural reinforcing, cosmetic updates, wiring and plumbing work. Community-wide support will be crucial for in-kind services, products, and labor. The museum seeks local craftspeople from Jefferson County and period furnishings for the mansion.